Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Focusing on Technique

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I would add a little update. My current program is working well, and I feel that I am steadily improving. One thing that needs addressing is my cello bow-hold. I have been holding my bow incorrectly, and my thumb is stressed. I have to now learn how to rehold the bow, and it is so difficult to change this bad habit. The good news is that I am in less pain, and I can manage my practice and lesson times without a lot of tension. It will all work out in the end -- sometimes you just have to relearn technique.

As far as my study books go, I am progressing through the following books:

Solos for Young Cellists Cello

Solos for Young Cellists is an eight-volume series of music compilations with companion CDs. The series ranges from elementary to advanced levels and represents a truly exciting variety of musical genres and techniques. This collection of wonderful music offers young cellists the opportunity to work in various positions, techniques, meters, keys and musical styles.





American Fiddle Tunes for Solo and Ensemble: Cello

This collection contains 16 traditional fiddling tunes from across North America. They are arranged in a theme and variation format, typical of American fiddling. The authentic fiddling style harmonies are written so that various combinations from solo instrument with piano to duets and trios to full string quartet/orchestra are possible. Includes cello melody (solo), cello harmony and piano accompaniment. American Fiddle Tunes for Solo and Ensemble books are written as ensemble books, so they can be played as solo books with piano accompaniment or together as ensemble.


Hal Leonard Introducing The Positions for Cello and String Bass Vol 1 (Fourth Position)









I am currently finishing up Vivaldi's Concerto in C, first movement, and will begin the second movement next week. It is really a very nice piece of music, and I am enjoying it. I may post a link to my practice piece soon. I am feeling more confident now, and I think I could easily perform some of these works.

No comments: