Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Timing

Ok, I am challenged...I mean really challenged. I have no sense of time, I mean it. Actually, my son says I am just an 1/8 note off, but it is like swimming up stream in concrete boots, just to figure out how to do two things at once. He wants me to keep a steady beat with my right hand, while tapping out the music I am playing (Lully's Gavotte) with my left. Oh, it reminds me of grade school dancing in the gym. I was miserably off, always stepping on my partner's toes -- I simply have two left feet (er, hands!)

I am getting better, though, and I do see a light at the proverbial end of this tunnel. I know that it will come in time (no pun intended). When my son was beginning piano, I remember his teacher being really concerned about him. He simply could not keep correct time (too fast, too slow). Now, he can play the most magnificent pieces (new piece is by Rachmoninoff). It is so amazing, so many notes in one measure, and he (my son) plays it well.

I know that I will get this soon, and that I just need to keep trying. It will click for me too. I also need to remember that my son was in 3-4th year piano studies when this clicked in -- I am just in my fourth month of cello (with no previous music experience). It will come in time...in time.

So for now, I will just keep on practicing and trying to get on the beat. I can do it, I know I can.

No comments: